At Scrappy Apparel, we’re on a relentless pursuit of excellence—and that’s no secret. We constantly expand our products, services, and processes to deliver the best results for our customers.
We’ve already shared insights into many of our manufacturing services, such as:
- Retail-ready screen printing
- All over sublimation printing
- Simulated process screen printing
- Large format screen printing
- Cut-and-sew manufacturing
- Private labeling
…and the list goes on!
But one service that we haven’t talked about in detail yet is Prepared For Dye (PFD) garments.
If you’re keen on achieving vibrant, long-lasting colors for your custom apparel, let’s discuss the value of PFD—a game-changer that could take your brand’s visual impact to the next level.
Considering PFD Garments?
Get an Estimate From Our Experts at Scrappy Apparel!
What Does Prepared For Dye Mean?
PFD refers to a specific type of garment that is processed and manufactured to be immediately ready for dyeing.
You can think of a PFD garment as the equivalent of a blank canvas, waiting to be turned into a masterpiece with your design.
These garments are typically made from natural fibers, such as cotton. They come pre-washed and bleached.
The bleaching process removes all-natural and artificial impurities, preparing the fabric to take on dye uniformly.
The garment preparation allows for a cleaner, more vibrant color application. PFD garments offer great versatility, allowing you to achieve precise, custom color matches that match your brand identity.
Pros and Cons of PFD
Now that you have a big-picture idea of what PFD garments are, let’s take a closer look at their pros and cons.
- Vibrant Coloring: PFD is an excellent choice for brands that prioritize vibrant, long-lasting color in their custom apparel. PFD allows for deep, rich color application.
- Uniform Dye Penetration: The pre-washing and bleaching process in PFD ensures the fabric absorbs dye evenly. This feature gives PFD an advantage over some other printing techniques that can cause colors to appear blotchy or uneven.
- Custom Color Matching: PFD makes it possible to match your brand’s unique color precisely. The fabric’s purity allows for the creation of custom dye colors, making it an ideal choice for brands with specific color requirements.
- Limited to Natural Fibers: PFD is mainly appropriate for natural fiber garments, such as cotton, silk, or linen. Polyester or other synthetic materials are not suitable for PFD. Sublimation is the better printing technique for synthetic fabrics.
- Additional Processing Time: PFD garments need to go through an additional process (bleaching and pre-washing) before dyeing, which can add to production time and costs.
- Potentially Higher Costs: PFD requires additional processing and prep. Therefore, it can be more expensive than screen printing—although it’s important to remember that a variety of factors influence the cost of a custom apparel project! The best way to get a proper estimate is to request quotes from all the manufacturers you’re considering.
Pantone Color Matching: The Secret to Accurate Hues
Understanding the vital role of color in brand perception, we integrate our PFD process with Pantone color matching at Scrappy Apparel. This globally standard color-matching system enables us to reproduce your brand colors with razor-sharp precision.
Consider brands like Coca-Cola, Tiffany, Home Depot, and their respective colors… you can probably already envision those iconic red, blue, and orange shades in your head. Any slight deviation in these colors is immediately noticeable and could negatively impact the brand’s image.
Pantone color matching eliminates this risk by providing a universal standard for colors, ensuring consistency and accuracy across all your custom PFD apparel. This makes PFD an excellent choice if you’re looking to achieve complete color control and consistency.
The Verdict: is PFD Right For Your Project?
Now, let’s talk about your brand. Is PFD a worthwhile investment for your custom apparel project?
The answer depends on what you’re looking to achieve with your garments. Here are a few key factors to consider:
Does your brand emphasize vibrant, rich colors in its visual identity? If so, PFD could be the right choice for you due to its superior color application.
PFD is an excellent choice if your brand favors natural fibers like cotton. However, if your brand leans toward synthetic fibers, other methods like sublimation printing might be a better fit.
Take into account your project’s budget. PFD can be slightly more expensive than other methods due to its additional processing. If budget is a concern, alternatives like screen printing could be more cost-effective.
Bear in mind the lead time for your project. The additional processing time required for PFD can extend the production timeline—but of course, this all depends on the manufacturer you work with.
At Scrappy Apparel, we pride ourselves on our quick turnaround times. We’ll give you an accurate estimate of how long the manufacturing process will take. We’ll deliver your garments on time—never, ever late!
Custom Color Needs
If having precise control over your color palette is critical for your brand, PFD’s custom color-matching capability can be a significant advantage. But once again, you want to make sure you have the right manufacturing partner to achieve the level of quality you expect.
When in Doubt, Trust the Experts to Guide You!
At Scrappy Apparel, we pride ourselves on having a team of manufacturing experts with an extensive understanding of the apparel industry. We’ll help you decide whether PFD is the right choice for your project.
Our professionals are here to help you make informed decisions that align with your brand’s aesthetic, budget, and timeline. Our stellar customer support team is dedicated to ensuring your satisfaction with a 5-star service experience.
We’re more than just an apparel manufacturer—we’re a one-stop shop for comprehensive apparel solutions. From manufacturing to fulfillment to e-commerce, our 3PL MGMT program ensures that your brand maintains top-tier quality and consistency at all touchpoints. We offer 4PL and 5PL-level support, including the management of multiple 3PL warehouses to facilitate a smooth, seamless supply chain.
Our fulfillment services include efficient inventory management and quick, fuss-free order processing, along with comprehensive handling of returns and exchanges.
Our approach is laser-focused on apparel. We promise our partners scalability, efficiency, and dependability—a recipe for making millions as a clothing brand.